Navigating the social world is a major challenge for the students we support. However, we believe this is a challenge that they can learn to overcome. Black Mountain Academy is a safe and therapeutic boarding school where young men can thrive socially and learn how to develop lasting, meaningful relationships.
Our school is designed to provide students with authentic life experiences that bridge the gap between treatment and their social life back home. A combination of pragmatic social skills lessons, in vivo feedback, and practice will assist our students to gain skills that they can generalize long after their stay. Research suggests that the more exposure one can have in a variety of novel environments, the greater the likelihood of generalizability back into different domains of life.
Additionally our staff provide students with compassionate coaching as they identify, practice, and master emotional regulation and executive function skills. Coaching, consistency, predictability, and routine help form the basis for self-regulation and greater self-awareness. As our students better understand themselves, they are able to set and achieve goals that improve their social lives and personal fulfillment.
Integrating Social Skills:
- In the moment social coaching
- Supportive peer, staff, and therapist feedback
- Formal social skills lessons
- Role Modeling from staff and peers
- Intentional social dialogue
- Practice and refinement
- Co-regulation training
- Emotional communication and self-regulation skills training
- Mindfulness practices aimed at increasing self-awareness
- Exercises to improve self-reflection